Fruits and Vegetables are a major part of our diet and not without a reason. They have various health benefits and help in achieving a great balance in our daily diet. They are easily available and in a great variety. This article aims to bring out some of the most important benefits of fruits and vegetables in our diet.
- Fibre Powerhouse – They are a great source of dietary fibre especially when they are consumed raw or in semi-cooked form. Fibre helps in fighting constipation and regulates healthy bowel movement. It is also known to reduce cholesterol in the body which makes it good for your heart function.
- Vital Vitamins – There are thirteen types of Vitamins viz. Vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9, B12,C, D, E, K. And fruits and vegetables contain most of these. Vitamins control and regulate enzymes in our bodies that are responsible for various functions. They facilitate energy release by breaking down fats and carbohydrates. Vitamins are good for your eyes, eye sight, hair, intestines, blood vessels, teeth and skin. They further aid blood cell production, brain function, formation of collagen, and limit and restore cell damage.
- Low on Cholesterol – Fruits and vegetables usually have no cholesterol and are very low on fats and calories. Therefore they are highly recommended for people suffering from high blood pressure, obesity and diabetes. In fact, fruits are a great substitute for untimely hunger pangs as compared to your usual snack which could be loaded with unwanted calories and fats.
- Potassium Rich – Potassium is a macro mineral found abundantly in fruits and vegetables. It is responsible for maintaining electrolyte balance in the body. It improves kidney function and metabolism of the body resulting in effective weight control. Potassium also leads to higher bone density and reduction in loss of muscle mass. A study shows that high potassium intake is associated with approx. 20% decrease in risk of dying of stroke and other causes mentioned above.
- Anti-Cancer Properties – Nutrients, particularly water soluble vitamins contained in fruits and vegetables have proven benefits against free radicals in the body that can cause cancerous growths and tumours. Water soluble vitamins flush toxins from the body and aid cell regeneration process thereby preventing cancer.
- Anti-Ageing Properties – Process of ageing is slowed down by fruits and vegetables in two ways – by flushing out of free radicals from the body that harm healthy cells in the body and, by increasing the rate of cell regeneration thereby reducing appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Both of these factors make the skin healthy, glow and taut.
- Taste and Health Package – Fruits and vegetable are widely available and they have a humongous variety. This variety brings in a lot of texture, colours and flavours that are pleasing to your senses in terms of appearance and taste. Seasonal fruits and vegetables increase immunity of the body and can be easily grown in your kitchen garden or pots