Life is short. Why not make the most of it? To do that, overall wellness is a must-have ingredient. If you think, you would need a lot to stay well, you are wrong. Let’s face it, health related issues are very common, it will stay and so will discontentment in our minds. We can’t expect things to work exactly as we want them to. But if you are knowledgeable you would know that you can keep these at bay and still be happy! It might seem weird, if I say walking helps, but trust me you won’t disagree when you reach the end of this article.
Why should you walk?
- Because you want to wear your favorite pair of jeans again – It has been proven again and again that walking helps reduce weight or at least avoid weight gain. Having a healthy diet and walking regularly helps maintain weight. However, it must be remembered that by walking we mean brisk walking. Get a walking partner or the best option is having a pet dog. That way you will never miss your walk and most of the time you will be actually running after them!
- Because you love your heart – Walking is a great physical activity that helps in reducing cholesterol, high blood pressure and keeps your heart fit and fine. All it needs is 30 minutes of your time every day. Not too difficult right? With the latest smart watches or health app on phones, you can even monitor your heart rate and the amount of calories you lost!
- For your overall wellness – A daily 30 minute walk definitely keeps the doctor away. It is not just good for your heart, it can prevent diabetes, reduce the risk of cancer, osteoarthritis and improves cerebral blood flow, keeping the brain active and preventing dementia.
- To sleep like a baby at night – Did you know, that a rise in melatonin makes us sleepy? No wonder, we doze off when we sit in the sun in winter! So a bit of sunlight exposure is great for your body. A morning walk will ensure you get proper sleep at night.
- Because you need a stress buster – Walking can very well provide you with the time you need to de-stress. What’s more, exercising/ walking releases endorphins that keep you happy. Good news for those who suffer from depression. A half an hour’s walk five days a week can keep depression at bay and help you lead a healthy, content life.
- To Rediscover and mend relationships – In this age of hectic schedules, it is hard to find out time for your spouse/ partner. Take a walk together each day and see how that old feeling of companionship resurfaces. Keep the conversation flowing and rekindle the love you had for each other. After all, healthy relationships are the key to a long, happy and prosperous life.
- It is affordable – The very thought of going to a gym, every day, paying a hefty amount of subscription at the end of each month without having gone even 15 days, is a pain for most of us. Walking has no such problems. You can start any day you want and there is hardly any investment apart from a pair of good walking shoes.
Now that you have no excuses left for not going for a walk, start right away! Remember starting might seem like an ordeal at first, but once you know what you are getting in return, you will not stop, ever!